By BRAD KEITH
STEPHENVILLE (July 8, 2015) — His lead may have narrowed to just more than $3,000, but Stephenville bareback rider Bobby Mote still leads the Windham Weaponry 2015 World Standings as he pursues a historic fifth world championship.
While Mote even admitted on his Facebook page that it wasn’t the “Cowboy Christmas” or Calgary Stampede run he was hoping for recently, but he remains one of three local rodeo stars to lead the world in their event.
Mote has won three events outright and shared another this year, including victories in the prestigious National Western Stock Show and Rodeo in Denver and the Wrangler Champions Challenge in Logandale, Nev. He has earned $62,497.62 this year, pushing his career earnings past the $2.6-million mark.
The other world leaders from Erath County and the surrounding area include two-time defending team roping champs Clay Tryan of Lipan and Jade Corkill of Huckabay. The tandem has won the last two world titles together and each has there in their career. They have won $74,249.06 together, giving Tryan a lead of almost $16,000 in heading and Corkill an advantage of more than $10,000 in heeling.
Tryan exceeded the $2-million career earnings plateau this year, while Corkill is fast approaching the $1.5-million mark. In 2015 they have won Wrangler Champions Challenge events in Kissimmee, Fla., Rapid City, SD and Spanish Fork, Utah and Redding, Calif. and have six total PRCA wins. They have also been strong on the USTRC circuit, including a big recent win in San Angelo.
With 11 wins on the year including his first outside of Texas when he shared the victory at the Greeley (Colo.) Stampede last week, four-time saddle bronc NFR qualifier Isaac Diaz of Desdemona has shot up to sixth in the world standings. He has season earnings of $48,223.77, already exceeding his winnings in 2014.
Below is a look at all athletes with local ties who are in the top 50 of the World Standings:
1. Bobby Mote, Stephenville, $62,497.62
36. Richie Champion, Former Tarleton, $14,807.32
Team Roping (Headers):
1. Clay Tryan, Lipan, $74,249.06
21. Luke Brown, Stephenville, $24,116.91
22. Charly Crawford, Huckabay, $24,032.44
23. David Key, Stephenville, $21,632.42
26. Kaleb Driggers, Huckabay, $21,215.06
27. Turtle Powell, Stephenville, $20,908.39
28. Zayne Dishion, Stephenville, $20,498.30
37. Billy Bob Brown, Stephenville, $16,169.13
Team Roping (Heelers):
1. Jade Corkill, Huckabay, $74,249.06
4. Patrick Smith, Lipan, $47,998.80
7. Travis Woodard, Stephenville, $40,625.78
9. Kory Koontz, Stephenville, $37,944.04
10. Travis Graves, Stephenville, $36,747.39
15. Jim Ross Cooper, Stephenville, $28,197.58
18. Shay Carroll, Dublin, $25,792.44
19. Kollin VonAhn, Huckabay, $24,116.91
21. Dakota Kirchenschlager, Morgan Mill, $23,864.56
26. Martin Lucero, Stephenville, $21,926.61
29. Paul Eaves, Huckabay, $20,609.96
32 Cole Davison, Stephenville, $19,700.93
Saddle Bronc Riding:
6. Isaac Diaz, Desdemona, $48,223.77
8. Jacobs Crawley, Stephenville, $45,125.87
10. Cort Scheer, Stephenville, $40,030.92
21. Sterling Crawley, Stephenville, $21,339.93
7. Marty Yates, Stephenville, $41,574.14
17. Sterling Smith, Stephenville, $33,281.30
21. Cimarron Boardman, Stephenville, $32,065.02
25. Chase Williams, Stephenville, $25,521.85
26. Reese Riemer, Former Tarleton, $24,588.68
27. Ryan Watkins, Bluff Dale, $24,141.54
42. Trent Walls, Stephenville, $14,443.16
47. Martin Poindexter, Stephenville, $3,976.52
34. Bryce Barrios, Bluff Dale, $22,667.02
Barrel Racing (WPRA):
19. Britany Diaz, Desdemona, $31,186.88
23, Shelby Herrmann, Stephenville/Tarleton, $28,471.04