LAWTON, Okla. – In a two-day turnaround from traveling to Western New Mexico, Tarleton headed to Lawton for a makeup match against Cameron and suffered a 5-4 loss Sunday afternoon.
“It was a hard-fought, exciting match and we just weren’t able to pull it out today,” said head coach Lance Drake. “We’ll come back and get ready for the conference tournament.”
Tarleton fell behind 2-1 after doubles as only Erika Johnston and Neetika Sud (8-4) were able to come out on top, but the TexAnns put together a valiant showing in singles – winning in the No. 1, 4, and 5 spots. Alicia Barbaroux won her fifth straight No. 1 match with a 6-3, 6-2 victory while Johnston (6-0, 6-0) swept her way through No. 4 and Shelby Fillingame (6-0, 6-4) handled the No. 5.
The complete results are as follows:
1. #18 Zhenia Shviadok/Mathilde Thibaudat (CU) def. Alicia Barbaroux/Sherine Salem (TSU) 8-4
2. Erika Johnston/Neetika Sud (TSU) def. Sarah Frendo/Sara Petric (CU) 8-4
3. Rebeka Velasova/Melany Opolz (CU) def. Shelby Fillingame/Chrystalynn Shirley (TSU) 8-5
1. #56 Alicia Barbaroux (TSU) def. #23 Zhenia Shviadok (CU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Mathilde Thibaudat (CU) def. Neetika Sud (TSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Sarah Frendo (CU) def. Sherine Salem (TSU) 6-4, 6-3
4. Erika Johnston (TSU) def. Melany Opolz (CU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Shelby Fillingame (TSU) def. Sara Petric (CU) 6-0, 6-4
6. Rebeka Velasova (CU) def. Chrystalynn Shirley (TSU) 6-0, 6-0
Tarleton earned the No. 3 seed in the Lone Star Conference championship tournament and will open things up against No. 6 seed UT Permian Basin on Friday at the HEB Tennis Center in Corpus Christi. The TexAnns and Falcons will take the court at 10 a.m. in the quarterfinals.