STEPHENVILLE (June 18, 2018)– Keep Stephenville Beautiful is hosting its annual Garden Tour fundraiser this Saturday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Attendees can tour six different gardens throughout Stephenville and see a variety of different types of landscaping, flowers and more.
This year’s Garden Tour is dedicated to Janet Whitley, co-founder of Keep Stephenville Beautiful.
Tickets cost ten dollars and can be purchased in advance at Scott’s Flowers, Interbank, the Stephenville Chamber of Commerce, Pack and Mail and First Financial Bank. Tickets can also be bought the day of the Garden Tour at any of the Garden Tour stops.
“This is our only money making event,” board of directors member relations officer Stephany Elliot said. “We put it back into the community just like with the Bill Johnson Park.”
This year’s featured gardens are Bill Johnson Park, the Trogden House, Carie and Chad Decker’s garden, Pattie Crosby’s garden, Cindy and Parker Friedrich’s garden and Hazel and Charles Allen’s garden.
“Keep Stephenville Beautiful has been striving to help Stephenville be more beautiful in every aspect,” Elliot said. “People who own the homes are gracious enough to let us share their flower beds and their ideas for gardens with the city. “
The Decker residence, at 2479 Summit Ave, showcases an expansive and manicured backyard providing a beautiful outdoor living space, complete with an outdoor kitchen and wood fire pizza oven. They enjoy the many amenities including the pool, the fire pit, the gazebo and volleyball court. The backyard has a flowing Koi pond, full of aquatic life and is home to three beautiful labs and one fat, happy weenie dog. They love to use the backyard and patio on a daily basis and enjoy hosting many gatherings. The Decker family hopes that you enjoy their yard as much as they do!
Pattie Crosby will welcome visitors to view her expansive grounds on two acres in Pecan Hill Estates. The home at 1510 Pecan Hill is located at the edge of Pattie’s beloved hometown and is landscaped to complement the style of her California Contemporary home. The front portico is framed by Italian Cypress Trees and boxwoods extending the length of the home and circular driveway. A rock garden with crepe myrtles has recently been added. The heart of this estate is the swimming pool with fountains and a spa which can also be viewed and enjoyed from a 1200 sq. ft. lanai also overlooking the children’s playground. This alluring environment promotes family fun and relaxation.
This country home close to the end of Hillcrest is decorated with many different “antiques” that have been repurposed. The back yard has an outdoor kitchen and a variety of seating areas. There is a terraced area that offers a great view of the entire back yard and overlooks the built-in swimming pool. Every direction you turn, you feel invited to sit and stay a while. Colorful flowers lend beautiful accents to the landscape.
Built in 1948, this ranch style, Austin stone home is a treasure. The lawn is immaculate with large mature trees. The Allens bring in many accents of color with both permanent plantings and feature plantings in a variety of pots. The patio is warm and inviting and calls for a nice cold glass of tea under the majestic, stately trees. The yard has been a labor of love for the Allens for many years.
Sitting in the heart of Tarleton State University’s campus since 1923, the Trogdno House is a visible, beautiful home which serves to link the University’s past to its future. Formerly known as the Hall of Presidents, it served as the residence of the college president and his family from 1924 to 1982. Built under the supervision of Dean J. Thomas, the house was constructed primarily by student labor at an original cost of $8,000.The exterior walls are approximately 18 inches thick and are a combination of wood studs, native rock and several layers of concrete plaster. Dean Davis and his family occupied the home until 1948, followed by President E.J. Howell and his family, who lived in the house from 1948 to 1966. Tarleton’s 12th president, Dr. W.O. Trogden lived in the ome from 1966 to 1082. By resolution of the Texas A&M University System Board of Regents, it became known as the Trogden House in honor of Dr. Trogden and served as a university office building from 1982 until 2009. In 2009, Dr. Mike McKinney, Chancellor of the Texas A&M University System, and Tarleton’s 15th president Dr. Dominic Dottavio recognized the importance of the structure in the life of the university and its need for preservation and rehabilitation. To accomplish the needed work, Dr. Dottavio initiated a fundraising campaign which was led by long-time supporters of the university, Col. Will Tate and Ben and Nellie Baty. Renovations were completed in 2010 and Dr. Dottavio and his wife Lisette Dottavio became residents in an apartment on the second floor. Now the Trogden House once again plays an important and historic role in the life of Tarleton as a dedicated venue for many campus events.
Bill Johnson donated the property at the corner of Vanderbilt and McCart to the city to be used as a park for the children of the neighborhood. During the past few years, the area fell into disrepair and the grass was full of grassburrs. The City of Stephenville and Keep Stephenville Beautiful partnered to clean up the park. The lot was scraped to remove all grassburrs. Now the park has new playground equipment, a freshly painted basketball court, sidewalks, grass and no grassburrs. It is a great addition to the neighborhood.