STEPHENVILLE (July 3, 2017) – This month the Stephenville Senior Citizens Center has multiple events and activities planned. From bingo to yoga to country and western dances, the Senior Citizens Center has something for everyone. These activities are good for senior citizens and can help them to get them out of the house helping to keep them active.
All activities are open to the public.
“We have some great activities, and we have some wonderful people that come,” Stephenville Senior Citizens Center coordinator Sandy Morgan said. “You just can’t imagine the friendships that have been built here. Without the center, there would have been no place for our senior citizens to go except maybe to a few community events.”
Line Dancing Classes
- Beginner line dancing classes meet on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m and on Thursdays from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Intermediate line dancing classes meet on Wednesdays at 2 p.m. during the summer.
Yoga Classes for the Public
The instructor for these yoga classes is Pat Jones. The cost is 12 dollars per month.
- Mondays and Fridays at 10 a.m.
- Mondays and Wednesdays at 5:30 p.m.
- Chair yoga classes on Mondays and Fridays at 11:10 a.m.
Fourth of July Celebrations
- The Fourth of July celebration will be on June 28 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The Senior Citizens Center will serve brisket and potato salad. The Freedom Singers under the direction of Gloriana Tadlock will perform. This event is free.
- The Fourth of July Dance will be on July 4 from 7 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.. The Senior Citizens Center will provide hot dogs and watermelon. The Cowboy Country Production will perform. This event is free.
Country and Western Dances
Country and Western dances are every Tuesday. The first and third Tuesday dances are free. The second and fourth Tuesday dances cost 5 dollars. Dances are from 7-9:30 p.m.
- The Kaye Tolson Band will perform on July 11.
- Outlaw Run will perform on July 18.
- Kaye Tolson will perform on July 25.
Bingo is every Thursday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. The cost is 2 dollars to play unless a sponsor covers the costs of the prizes.
- The July 6 game is sponsored; that week the game is free.
Potluck lunches are on Wednesdays at 12 p.m. The meal costs $2.50. If one brings something to contribute to the potluck, the cost is 1 dollar.
- Chicken ‘n dumplings will be served on July 5.
- Fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy will be served on July 12. That week the meal is free.
- On July 19 the meal is free.
- On July 26 the meal is free.
Art Class with Pat Jones
This class will resume on July 10. The class meets every week at 2 p.m. The class is free, and supplies are provided.
Free Hearing Screening
Connect Hearing of Stephenville will offer free hearing screenings at the Senior Citizens Center from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on July 12. To schedule an appointment, call Connect Hearing of Stephenville at 254-968-4174.
Air Evac Presentation
Air Evac & Air Medcare Network representative Linda Lancaster will give a free presentation on Air Evac Services on July 13 at 11 a.m. at the Stephenville Senior Citizens Center.