The National Weather Service has forecasted a chance of winter weather west of the Metroplex, which may result in hazardous driving conditions. The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is preparing to treat bridges and overpasses on major corridors and state roadways. This winter season, plan ahead and be cautious while traveling in adverse weather.
If you must travel, please follow these precautions:
- Reduce speed. Speed limits are based on normal road and weather conditions, not winter road conditions. Do not use cruise control.
- Maintain at least three times the normal following distance on snow or ice.
- Watch carefully for personnel and equipment treating roadways, and stay at least 200 feet back from road crews.
- Use extra caution on bridges, ramps, overpasses and shaded areas as they tend to freeze first.
- Carry extra warm coats, gloves and boots in case you get stranded.
- If you start to slide, ease off the gas pedal or brakes. Steer into the direction of the skid until you feel you have regained traction, then straighten your vehicle.
More winter weather safety information can be found at www.txdot.gov – key word: winter driving. Road conditions and traffic updates available on Facebook, www.facebook.com/txdot and Twitter, www.twitter.com/txdot. Motorists can obtain travel information by calling (800) 452-9292 or by visiting www.drivetexas.org.