SPECIAL TO THE FLASH
WACO (April 24, 2016) – Tarleton Track & Field competed at the Michael Johnson Invitational hosted by Baylor University on Saturday and came away with 12 NCAA provisional marks, one automatic qualifier and a new school record.
Tarleton mostly competed against Division I schools at the meet and still set a season high with the 12 NCAA provisional times.
“With the atmosphere and facilities that Baylor has, I knew these student-athletes would come prepared and would compete,” said head coach Pat Ponder. “I’m proud of how the kids did and it seems like they are coming around at the right time of the year.”
DeAijha Hicks-Boyce broke a five-year-old school record in the 200-meter dash, running a 23.76 for an NCAA provisional time. The sophomore from Waco broke Derekia Coleman’s mark of 24.09 set back in 2011. Hicks-Boyce’s time ranks second in the Lone Star Conference this season. Hicks-Boyce also captured a provisional time in the 100-meter dash, finishing in 11.89.
The TexAnns’ relay teams earned provisional times by clocking a 46.87 in the 4×100 (Deylinn Garrett,Ariel Ballard, Hollie Boyd, Hicks-Boyce) and in the 4×400 (Ballard, Hicks-Boyce, Ashley Johnson,Jasmine Owens) in a time of 3:45.17.
Aly Coughlin had the top finish of the day for any Tarleton athlete, finishing in second in the 5000-meter run in a time of 17:18.51. Coughlin has earned a provisional mark four different times in the 5000-meter this season, all four of those times ranking tops in the LSC.
Arianna Stegall came away with her fastest time of the season in the 400-meter hurdles, finishing in 1:01.28 for an NCAA provision mark. Stegall’s time ranks second in the LSC.
In the field events, Danyelle Dillard competed in the shot put and her distance of 14.19 meters gave her an NCAA provisional time. Dillard’s throw ranks second in the LSC this season.
On the men’s side, Chase Rathke claimed an NCAA automatic qualifying time in the 800-meter run, finishing in an LSC-best 1:48.94. Rathke’s time is fifth-best in the nation this season.
The Texans had success in the hurdles by coming away with a pair of runners earning NCAA provisional times and both setting personal best finishes. Dalton Stidham finished in fourth place in the 110-meter hurdles (14.37) and Randall Kadlacek came away in seventh in the 400-meter hurdles (52.49).
The men’s 4×400-meter relay (Gilson Umunnakwe, Blake Eschbach, Cameron Krc, Clarencio Guerrero) set a new season best with a time of 3:12.89 for an NCAA mark.
Zach Pratt came away with his first NCAA provisional distance of the season in the shot put, recording 16.03m.
Tarleton Track & Field will compete at the Abilene Christian University Twilight meet on April 27.
The following is the complete list of results from Tarleton’s athletes:
8. DeAijha Hicks-Boyce (11.89; NCAA provisional)
15. Hollie Boyd (12.47)
4. DeAijha Hicks-Boyce (23.76; NCAA provisional, School Record)
30. Robbie Clarke (26.21)
12. Jasmine Owens (56.29)
13. Ashley Johnson (56.33)
27. Haley Dennard (4:57.77)
2. Aly Coughlin (17:18.51; NCAA provisional)
6. Katelin Huckabee (17:37.68)
(W) 100-meter hurdles
13. Deylinn Garrett (14.50)
20. Molly Money (15.18)
25. Robbie Clarke (15.54)
(W) 400-meter hurdles
7. Arianna Stegall (1:01.28; NCAA provisional)
15. Kara Bickham (1:03.25)
(W) 4×100-meter relay
7. Deylinn Garrett, Ariel Ballard, Hollie Boyd, DeAijha Hicks-Boyce (46.87; NCAA provisional)
(W) 4×400-meter relay
7. Ariel Ballard, DeAijha Hicks-Boyce, Ashley Johnson, Jasmine Owens (3:45.17; NCAA provisional)
(W) high jump
7. Roxana Hernandez (5′ 5.75″)
(W) shot put
7. Danyelle Dillard (46′ 6.75″; NCAA provisional)
12. Cornelius Blair (10.69)
26. John Bellfield (11.14)
30. Jordan Jones (11.21)
33. Ryan Huntly (11.39)
25. Cornelius Blair (21.78)
28. Gilson Umunnakwe (21.82)
35. Clarencio Guerrero (22.09)
48. Ryan Huntly (22.92)
18. Gilson Umunnakwe (48.29)
26. Cameron Krc (48.98)
31. Clarencio Guerrero (49.43)
32. Blake Eschbach (49.75)
3. Chase Rathke (1:48.94; NCAA automatic qualifier)
9. Dylan Willett (3:57.54)
7. Thorne Pettigrew (15:03.93)
(M) 110-meter hurdles
4. Dalton Stidham (14.37; NCAA provisional)
14. Randall Kadlacek (15.06)
(M) 400-meter hurdles
7. Randall Kadlacek (52.49; NCAA provisional)
16. Dalton Stidham (53.51)
(M) 4×100-meter relay
8. John Bellfield, Cornelius Blair, Jordan Jones, Ryan Huntly (42.31)
(M) 4×400-meter relay
12. Gilson Umunnakwe, Blake Eschbach, Cameron Krc, Clarencio Guerrero (3:12.89; NCAA provisional)
(M) high jump
12. Rascellis Williams (6′ 4″)
(M) pole vault
13. William Carlton (15′ 3″)
(M) long jump
6. Chantz Chambers (23′ 1.75″)
(M) shot put
8. Zach Pratt (52′ 7.25″; NCAA provisional)
Be the first to comment