Special to The Flash
ARLINGTON (April 21, 2017) – Tarleton’s postseason push started with dominance Friday afternoon as the TexAnns wasted no time in handling Western New Mexico in the LSC Tournament Quarterfinals to advance to the semifinal round for a crucial showdown with Cameron.
Not only is there a trip to the LSC Championship match on the line, but Tarleton and Cameron are currently sitting at No. 5 and 4, respectively in the NCAA regional rankings. The NCAA playoff field will be decided on April 25 at 8 p.m. on NCAA.com.
Tarleton opened the afternoon with a sweep of doubles play – all by identical 8-4 scores – and then went into singles needing only two victories to clinch the match. Ashleigh Elward and Luiza Ferraro-Adas took care of those victories in the No. 4 and 5 matches to secure a trip to the semis.
Every other TexAnn was leading their match at the time of the clinch.
The final results are as follows:
1. Elena Preadca/Luiza Ferraro-Adas (TSU) def. Gemma Goodland/Annely Heinze (WNMU) 8-4
2. Erika Johnston/Ashleigh Elward (TSU) def. Tiffany Newell/Jeanne Kolb (WNMU) 8-4
3. Alicia Barbaroux/Tori Simmons (TSU) def. Nadia Justiniano/Emma Siboni (WNMU) 8-4
1. Erika Johnston (TSU) vs. Tiffany Newell (WNMU) 6-4, 1-1, unfinished
2. Elena Preadca (TSU) vs. Annely Heinze (WNMU) 6-2, 3-0, unfinished
3. Alicia Barbaroux (TSU) vs. Gemma Goodland (WNMU) 6-4, 1-0, unfinished
4. Ashleigh Elward (TSU) def. Jeanne Kolb (WNMU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Luiza Ferraro-Adas (TSU) def. Nadia Justiniano (WNMU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Tori Simmons (TSU) vs. Emma Siboni (WNMU) 6-4, 2-2, unfinished
Tarleton and Cameron are set to take the court tonight at 6 p.m. at the Arlington Tennis Center. The winner of tonight’s match will advance to the LSC title game against the winner of Midwestern State and Texas A&M-Kingsville tomorrow at 2 p.m.
Be the first to comment