Family displaced after morning fire destroys home



ERATH COUNTY (January 12, 2018) – An accidental fire, started by a small electric space heater, ripped through and destroyed a home in the 1900 block of County Road 255 in Erath County Friday morning. The fire, which totally engulfed the home in minutes, displaced an entire family, Erath County officials said.

Just after 7 a.m., Erath County Volunteer Fire Rescue and Harbin Volunteer Fire Department were dispatched to a report of a structure fire on CR 255. The first units on scene reported all three of the residents, who were home at the time the fire started, were out of the home safely.

As other volunteers arrived, the structure fire caused a grass fire in the surrounding area. Both were extinguished, but not before the home was completely destroyed by the flames.

“Our volunteers worked to contain the fire, but the home was, unfortunately, a total loss,” Steve Cole, Erath County Fire Marshal, reported Friday morning. “Two teenage children and a grandmother were home at the time, but we believe several more people were also living in the home.”

Cole said the county and the Red Cross were working together to ensure the entire family has somewhere safe and warm to sleep in the coming nights. However, he also reported nearly everything in the home was lost as well.



      • UPDATE: Men’s Shirt: XL Pants:36×36 and 38×38 Shoes: 11 and 13
        Boy’s Shirt 14-16 Pant 14-16 Shoe: 9.5
        Women’s Shirt XL and XXL Pant: L, 12 and 18 Shoe: 7, 8.5 and 11
        Girl’s Shirt: 2T Pant: 2T Shoe: 6

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.