ARKADELPHIA, Ark.- Despite going into the weekend road trip with a short-handed lineup due to injury, the Texans clinched a thrilling 4-2 win over Ouachita Baptist this afternoon at the Ward Tennis Center in Arkadelphia.
“The girls were ready to be back in action after a week off. We put on our game faces, went out on the court and played with discipline,” said head coach Elianne Douglas-Miron. “We were excited to get the win and will get some rest and try to repeat tomorrow against a very good Harding team.”
With injuries forcing Tarleton to forfeit the No. 3 flight in doubles, Tarleton needed wins in the No. 1 and 2 positions to take the doubles points and the Texans delivered. Alicia Barbaroux and Faustine Palatte were the first Texans to earn a win in doubles action and then the pairing of Nathalie Ulander and Celia Vaudiau secured the point in a tight 7-6 (3) victory in the top flight.
After Tarleton surrendered the No. 6 point to the Tigers by forfeit, Vaudiau (6-0, 6-1) and Palatte (6-1, 6-0) answered back with wins in the No. 3 and 4 positions, respectively, for a 3-1 Tarleton lead. Nathalie Ulander secured the win in the No. 2 position with a 6-1, 6-2 to clinch the victory for the Texans despite Delfina Rodriguez falling in the No. 5 spot.
Top-ranked Texan Alicia Barbaroux sat out of the contest due to limited court space and the No. 1 flight needed not be played after the Texans secured the win.
The complete results for the day are as follows:
1. Celia Vaudiau /Nathalie Ulander (TSU) def. M.Turner/ H. Cannon (OBU) 7-6 (3)
2. Alicia Barbaroux/Faustine Palatte (TSU) def. T. Hansard/ C. Valenzuela (OBU) 6-1
3. C. Phillips/M. Wade (OBU) def. No player
1. Alicia Barbaroux (TSU) def. M. Turner (OBU) *Not played*
2. Nathalie Ulander (TSU) def. H. Cannon (OBU) 6-1, 6-2
3. Celia Vaudiau (TSU) def. M. Wade (OBU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Faustine Palatte (TSU) def. T. Hansard (OBU) 6-1, 6-0
5. C. Valenzuela (OBU) def. Delfina Rodriguez (TSU) 6-1, 3-6, 7-10
6. C. Phillips (OBU) def. No player
Tarleton will be back in action at 1 p.m. tomorrow against Harding in Searcy, Arkansas.