LAS CRUCES, N.M. - Tarleton blasted their WAC transitional counterpart in the first meeting between the programs Friday afternoon. The Texans defeated the Trailblazers 6-1 to set up a thrilling final weekend to WAC action.
Tarleton will square off with Seattle University tomorrow in the regular season finale while Grand Canyon prepares for matches against Chicago State and New Mexico State – also in Las Cruces.
In addition to a Tarleton win against Seattle University, one loss from Grand Canyon on the weekend would guarantee at least a share of the WAC regular season championship for the Texans. Two GCU losses on the weekend would ensure a split title with New Mexico State. Tarleton enters the final match of the regular season with a record of 10-10 and a 4-1 mark in WAC play.
The results from Thursday’s match are as follows:
1. Jemi Aguilar/Martha Makantasi (TAR) def. Kyra Harames/Sabrina Longson (DSU) 6-3
2. Faustine Palatte/Mihaela Codreanu (TAR) def. Juliana Honczaruk/Rachel Mellor (DSU) 6-4
3. Alexandra Hildreth/Ya-Chi Hsu (DSU) def. Elsa Boisson/Hadley Jones (TAR) 6-4
1. Mihaela Codreanu (TAR) def. Kyra Harames (DSU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Jemi Aguilar (TAR) def. Alexandra Hildreth (DSU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Martha Makantasi (TAR) def. Sabrina Longson (DSU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Elsa Boisson (TAR) def. Rachel Mellor (DSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Celia Vaudiau (TAR) def. Emma Templeman (DSU) 6-0, 4-6, 6-3
6. Juliana Honczaruk (DSU) def. Rose Watanabe (TAR) 6-4, 6-2
With the win in No. 3, Makantasi became just the fifth Texan since 2013 to win 15 singles matches in a season. She improved to 15-2 on the season. One more win will make her just the second Texan over that span to win at least 16 matches in a season, joining the 2013 LSC Player of the Year Karla Martinez (17).