ERATH COUNTY (April 4, 2019) – On Saturday, May 4, the 23rd annual Cowboy Capital MS Trail Ride starts at 9 a.m. at Tarleton’s Hunewell Ranch. Each year the event raises funds for victims of Multiple Sclerosis, a chronic, disabling disease of the central nervous system. This is the first and only trail ride in the nation sanctioned by the National MS Society to raise funds for Multiple Sclerosis.
Trail ride check-in starts at 8 a.m. the day of the ride with a free breakfast provided by the Cowboy Church of Erath County.
There is also a 5K Trail Run and a one-mile Trail Walk for those who do not ride. Registration for those events begins at 9 a.m. and the run and walk begin at 9:30 a.m.
Here are some facts about the ride as well as some information riders will need to know:
- Last year the event cleared $15,000, all of which went to the National MS Society.
- Cost of ride is $50; $30 for children 12 and under; $25 for run/walk. You will receive an official ‘Cowboy Capital MS Trail Ride’ T-shirt. T We encourage participants to raise additional funds and to help you get organized and keep track of donations collected, a Donation form can be downloaded from the Trail Ride website: www.ccmstrailride.com
- During the ride, rest stop snacks are provided by Saint-Gobain, and at noon a delicious BBQ lunch is provided by the Knights of Pythias. Both free of charge.
- Individual awards will be given for top fundraising (1st, 2nd, and 3rd place), traveled the furthest, and oldest and youngest riders.
- Team trophies will also be given out for the top fundraising team, the largest team, the most spirited team. A “team” is 3 or more riders.
- Area merchants have donated some wonderful items for our Live and Silent Auctions.
- Participants can camp out for free Friday night before the ride at TSU’s Hunewell Ranch. It is primitive camping so campers must be self-contained. The “call before you haul” number to make a reservation for camping is 254-485-4416. A free chuck wagon dinner is provided by the Cowboy Church of Erath County.
- Riders can either sign up the day of the event or register online on the Trail Ride website: www.ccmstrailride.com You can also register by email: firstname.lastname@example.org Pre-registration is not a requirement.
- Current negative Coggins is required for all horses. Shoes are not required, but there is a small portion of the trail that is rocky. If your horse can normally go barefoot, it will be OK.
- Other trail ride rules for riders are listed at www.ccmstrailride.com/ride-details