STEPHENVILLE – Despite a 5-2 loss on the scorebook, head coach Elianne Miron said the Texan Tennis team played “professional level tennis” against one of the elite junior college programs in the country Saturday.
Tarleton lost 5-2 as a team, but freshmen Martha Makantasi (6-3, 6-2) and Celia Vaudiau (6-4, 7-5) earned singles wins for the Texans in the No. 3 and 5 flights, respectively. Makantasi and Aguilar teamed for a 6-4 win in the top-seeded doubles flight as well.
“It was a good match for us against one of the best junior college programs in the country,” said Miron. “Martha and Celia were absolute rockstars in singles and Martha and Jemi gave us a huge win in doubles at the No. 1 spot. This was literally professional level tennis in Stephenville today.”
In addition to the wins, Mihaela Codreanu and Faustine Palatte pushed their opponents to three sets before dropping heartbreakers.
The complete results are as follows:
1. Martha Makantasi/Jemi Aguilar (TAR) def. Lauren Anzalotta/Destinee Martins (TJC) 6-4
2. Emelie Schwarte/Violet Apisah (TJC) def. Mihaela Codreanu/Faustine Palatte (TAR) 6-0
3. Momoko Yoshimura/Jadeh Chan (TJC) def. Celia Vaudiau/Elsa Boisson (TAR) 6-1
1. Destinee Martins (TJC) def. Mihaela Codreanu (TAR) 6-2, 6-7, 6-3
2. Lauren Anzalotta (TJC) def. Jemi Aguilar (TAR) 6-4, 6-1
3. Martha Makantasi (TAR) def. Violet Apisah (TJC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Emelie Schwarte (TJC) def. Elsa Boisson (TAR) 6-4, 6-4
5. Celia Vaudiau (TAR) def. Momoko Yoshimura (TJC) 6-4, 7-5
6. Jadeh Chan (TJC) def. Faustine Palatte (TAR) 6-0, 4-6, 7-5
Tarleton will host Texas State tomorrow at 11 a.m. in the home finale. The Texans will recognize seniors Codreanu and Gaayatri Shankar before the match.