Stephenville – Twenty-three members of the Stephenville High School chapter of Texas DECA joined 5,300 high school business, finance, hospitality and marketing students at the annual association career development conference held March 9-11, 2023 at the Hilton Anatole in Dallas.
The following students received recognition for individual ability and achievement at the association level:
- Jordan McMullen, ICDC alternate in Automotive Services Marketing Series
- Ryland Elliott, ICDC alternate in Restaurant & Food Service Management Series
- Mason Tulley, ICDC alternate in Food Marketing Series
- Laura Carter, state champion & ICDC qualifier in Accounting Applications Series
Laura Carter will advance to the international level of competition at the DECA International Career Development Conference that will be held April 22-25, 2023, in Orlando, Florida. Joining her will be three SHS DECA students that earned a spot in the prestigious Thrive leadership academy: Jimena Guerra, Alexa Hodgen, and Sara Hunsinger.
The Stephenville High School chapter also received several accolades at the State Career Development Conference:
- National Community Service Campaign
- National Promotional Campaign
- State Membership Campaign (Grow 10)
- Texas Two-Step Recognition (completed with Granbury HS & Mexia HS)
The Stephenville High School DECA advisor, Jocelyn Etters, was recognized as an outstanding new advisor for Texas DECA. Only six new advisors in the entire state of Texas were recognized with this distinction.
As an integral part of the classroom curriculum, DECA’s industry-validated competitive events are aligned with the National Curriculum Standards in the career clusters of marketing, business management and administration, finance, and hospitality and tourism. DECA’s competitive events directly contribute to every student being college and career ready when they graduate from high school.