By BRAD KEITH
TheFlashToday.com NEWS & SPORTS – FREE & LOCAL
STEPHENVILLE (February 17, 2015) — There is no school at Huston Academy today (Tuesday), following a false bomb threat that was called in about 6:30 a.m.
The Flash Today received word about 8:20 a.m. that school at Huston had been canceled, and an hour later Huston Superintendent Debra Miller confirmed the morning’s events.
“I got a call from the police about 6:30 a.m., and it was a bomb threat,” said Miller, who was working alone in the school office at about 9:30 a.m. “The police and the fire trucks came and checked the perimeter first, then we we went through the building and did not find anything.”
The call was made from a pay phone, officers told Miller, which complicates matters when it comes to identifying the caller.
“They said they’ve narrowed down where the call came from, but it’s difficult to know who did it from a pay phone,” she said.
Miller, who is slowly transitioning away from day-to-day operations at Huston Academy following her husband, Sid Miller, taking over as Texas Agricultural Commissioner, labeled events as unfortunate.
“You knew we had the break-ins a while back, and now we have this. It’s things we can’t really control,” said a frustrated Miller. “We have good kids. Most of them are just so happy to be here.”
And they’ll be back on Wednesday when classes resume on their routine schedule.
“By the time they checked out everything it was just too late to reach everyone,” she said of trying to have class Tuesday. “Well be back tomorrow ready to move forward.”